Rodney Strong Vineyards New Releases Shine

2010 Charlotte’s Home, Sauvignon Blanc, Estate Vineyards

2010 Charlotte's Home, Sauvignon Blanc, Estate Vineyards

Rod Strong established our heritage sauvignon blanc vineyard in 1971, naming it Charlotte’s Home in honor of his wife. Today that vineyard remains the core of our Charlotte’s Home sauvignon blanc, along with other select estate vineyards in the Alexander Valley as well as the Russian River Valley.

The 2010 vintage started with a cool and fairly wet spring that remained mostly frost free. The late rains generated a healthy canopy, but one that required careful management to attain desired ripeness. The cool spring evolved into an exceptionally cool summer, punctuated by a three day heat spike in august which reduced yields in many varieties. September started out warm and ended the same way, giving us the ripeness we were waiting for, and we harvested the last of our sauvignon blanc on October 6th.

Light, crisp, and highly aromatic, the warmer climate Alexander Valley fruit gives this wine ripe pear and melon character, while the ocean cooled Russian River Valley fruit offers citrus, mineral, and traditional herbaceous qualities. Together, the two valleys make a classic Northern Sonoma sauvignon blanc that is fresh, lively, and will drink beautifully over the next 1 to 2 years.

 

$13.50 | 750ml

Copyright 2012 By Punchin International. All Rights Reserved.

Disclosure


2010 Chardonnay, Sonoma County

2010 Chardonnay, Sonoma County

Nearly four decades ago we discovered that Sonoma County’s west and southwestern regions are ideal for growing chardonnay grapes. The cool maritime influence of the Pacific Ocean brings us fog nearly every summer evening, maintaining the bright natural acidity that provides balance to any fine chardonnay. On the other hand, the warm summer afternoons here ensure plenty of ripe fruit character. We combined estate grown and locally farmed fruit grown in benchland and alluvial soils in the Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley, and Sonoma Coast appellations to make this wine.

The 2010 vintage started with a cool and fairly wet spring that remained mostly frost free. The late rains generated a healthy canopy, but one that required careful management to attain desired ripeness. The cool spring evolved into an exceptionally cool summer, punctuated by a three day heat spike in august which reduced yields in many varieties. September started out warm and ended the same way, giving us the ripeness we were waiting for, and we harvested the last of our chardonnay on October 3rd.

We barrel fermented about 60% of this wine, and sur-lies aged that portion in barrel for five months, offering the wine a touch of brown spice and vanilla. The remaining 40% was cold fermented to capture a fresh fruit-forward character, providing bright lemon and apple aromas that mingle with hints of the toasty barrel complexity. On the palate, pear and green apple with refreshing acidity will lure you back for another sip. Enjoy this lively chardonnay now and over the next couple of years.

$13.50 | 750ml

Continue reading